Friday, January 23, 2009

Comp. tips and what goes in my bag

I was reflecting yesterday about how much I have learned in the 6 shows that I have competed in. My first contest was back in 2006 my placing for the Open Medium Class was 10th out of 13th, my placing for the Masters Class was 6th out of 10.......do I feel that I was jipped nope not at all, do I think that show made me want to be better and kick some ass later, hell yes!

Everyone has that first show.....let me tell you I understand how nervous you are going to be! Geesh you don't know what to expect but yet your excited because you have trained so hard for so many weeks and you want to show off your transformed body, your afraid you will trip onstage, you think you won't remember how to pose or you have a mental picture of your boob popping out of the suit, etc. Let me tell you as nervous as you are going to be leave the nerves at the front door of the Venue and when it is your turn to hit that stage look the judges in the eyes, make them notice you.......own that shit oops I mean stage. I can tell you my last show I did I won my Masters Class and the reason I got 1st was because of stage presence and posing and I believed once I got on that stage that I had already won! The girl who come in 2nd was beautiful and had alot going on but once she stepped on stage she looked so scared and nervous the whole time which made her posing really stiff. If I had gotten really initimated before I went on stage and gave into the nerves she could have beat me.

Piece of advise that I haven't used but might help someone else is if you need something to relax you could try sipping a little wine before you hit the stage.

I've had to do so much foot work on my own, I've for the most part been DIY girl except for the Posing and some diet help I received during the Summer of 2007.

So my post for today I want to just share some of the products that I use and take with me on Comp. Day.......if you are going to do your first show just maybe this will help some.

My first thing that rolls into a show with me is:



Many girls have trouble matching foundation. Through trial and error I have settled on MAC (NC 45)

www.MACCosmetics.com



False Eyelashes can really bring out your eyes and make them pop.......however they can be very tricky if you have not used them before, my suggestion is
(Eyelash Extensions) lasts about 2 weeks and then you just get them filled.




Nails I always go with a French Manicure. Toes are whatever you want as far as I'm concerned. Cynthia Herndon I believe won her Pro Card wearing Black Toe Nail Polish.


For shoe I shop online at Snaz.com they are much cheaper then any other source I have found.

www.Snaz75.com

The photo below is a good example of what your shoes should look like......I have used the strapped kind only because I'm more comfortable in them. You can also add clear stones if you want to bling them out!


This photo is a shoe that Judges do not like (High Platform) not good! This shoe is good for the Stripper/Pole not Figure Competitions.



If your looking for a gently used suit a great resource is Diva Exchange.......you can find some really good deals and just as an F.Y.I. if you ever go with a used CJ (Cynthia James) 2 pieces from what I understand she only asks 2 questions when cutting a suit (boob size and weight) so if your measurements are close to the sellers you have a pretty good shot its going to fit unless she cut the back straps or had it altered.

divaexchange.com

Passion Fruits
Suits start at 199.00 for plain 2 pieces
http://www.passionfruitdesigns.com/designer.htm

CC Fitwear has great 1 and 2 piece suits (Remember this year the state and National level only require a 2 piece) I bought a CC Fitwear for my September Show and was really pleased with the level of Customer Service and Quality of the suit.
2 pieces suits are $100.00 unstoned
www.ccfitwear.com



A great source for stones is Designer Trends by Tami........150 stones for about $8.00-$10.00 and she has about any color and size you could ever imagine! For glue I really love E6000......Note that I have tried about 5 other kinds of glue and this by far is the best (I think it was about $3.99 at Walmart)
http://www.designertrendsbytami.com

* My first show I did not put any color on.......don't follow that lead the lights from the stage will wash you out and you will stand out like a sore thumb.

Since that 1st show I have used Pro tan and Jan Tana
For application this is what I do:

Wednesday Shave and Exfoliate
Wednesday week of Comp 1 coat Pro Tan (Remember to sleep in old clothes and sheets)
Thursday rinse off in the morning and put on 1 coat Pro Tan
Thursday evening another 1 coat Pro Tan
Friday morning another 1 coat Pro Tan
Friday Evening 1 more coat Pro Tan if needed (Dry) and put one coat of Jan Tana
(The Jan Tana gives you a nice brown color)
Saturday Morning do hands, feet, neck W/Pro tan and Jan Tana
Jan Tana Face/Neck.......I mix a little moisturizer into my palm with the Jan Tana so it goes on easier.

Make sure you take your Tanning Products with you in a plastic bag so if they leak they won't ruin your suit. I have worn my suit under my track suit to most of the venue's because by the time everyone is measured for height and they do the Pre-Judge meeting with the Figure,Fitness and Bikini girls you don't have alot of time left for hair, makeup and getting your suit on.

This is my source for the Pro tan and Jan Tana
An eBay Store maintained by:dw-supplements ( 3 )
Bikini Bite $5.99 Pro tan 8.5 $13.99 List Price

Bikini Bite is for gluing your suit in place.

* I've read you can pop the ball out of the top of your Bikini Bite and pour into a plastic container and use a paint brush to spread on your butt....air dry a few seconds, bend over and stick your suit into place. Oh and pee first never fails as soon as I glue myself in I have to go! One more piece of advise a very wise girl told be me to glue my nipples into the suit top also! Just don't overkill it so the glue shows through the suit.

After the show I clean my suit with Shampoo for color treated hair. Hang dry

I also always take needle and thread that match my suit.....I've literally had to sew a back strap back on because of pulling it so tight. And yes one time coming off the stage I did not tie my suit tight enough and my strap popped and my boob almost said hello to the audience!

For oil I just use Pam Cooking Spray. Pat on your body, don't slather!



Bring a Towel

water if you are getting overly dehydrated.....seen girls almost drop

Bands for pumping up backstage.........most promoters provide weights and bands but remember depending on the size of the show they might be hard to get your hands on.

Makeup, Curling Iron, Hairspray

Food

Wear a zip up top so you don't have to pull your top over your head and mess up your hair and makeup.

Flip Flops so you don't mess your Pro Tanned feet up

Jewelry......Pre-Judge you can wear your all your bling

OK this one might be graphic but it never fails for me but my period (T.O.M) shows up 2 days before a show which I have been told can work in your favor because your water will be at its lowest level in your body, so if it happens cut your tampon string or tuck up in place and for added protection you can use a thong panty liner. I actually have heard of a girl that had her string hanging out!!! That poor girl.

Don't forget the Camera......need photo's to show your Grand kids someday!
(Grandma was hot!)

My last thing that I bring to every show is my Sportsmanship. You may not always agree with the judging and it can hurt your ego if you don't place, I've licked my own wounds before after a show but I've suck it up and gave Props to the girls who did place.......if you have the drive and desire to go back at it I guarantee you one day will have your win and it will be really sweet! This is going to sound really sappy but the night before I won my 1st place I saw a shooting star with my 11year old daughter and she said she made a wish for me that I would win, my win came 2years to the date of my first show which just happened to be the one that I was once again competing in, remember I came in 10th out of 13th that 1st time. For me not winning has pushed me to a higher level more driven each time to prove something I guess, I want the outside to match how I feel on the inside. Also what lessons would I learn if I never had to struggle for a win?

Hoping maybe some of this information will help a girl prepping for that 1st show.

Take Care,



Lisa T.


* Quote from Howard Cosell

The ultimate victory in Competition is derived from the inner satisfaction of that you have done your best and that you have gotten the most out of what you had to give.

8 comments:

  1. very helpful!! i am doing my first show this year and that is all really good info! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT information! I am also enjoying reading your older posts as well. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments. I keep practicing my posing...right now I feel like the face is the worst part of all of it...Hopefully it will be second nature by showtime. Any pointers?!! Imagining the audience in their undies probably won't help me. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome information. I am sure a lot of girls can benefit from all these details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Very detailed and helpful information.
    ~C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg I saw this post and was like "no way I gotta finish cleaning! but I want to reaad" - seriously, I'm saving it as my reward once the bedroom is organized! Finally all this information in one spot! THAAANK YOUUU!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very helpful! I get so overwhelmed sometimes with all the choices you have to make. Like Pro tan or Jan tana and what color suit looks best and different style of shoes. I guess it all comes down to experimenting and finding what feels best on you.

    Who did you have help you in 2007? (if you don't mind sharing). I know I still have a lot to learn, but I have to soak it all up NOW because this will be my last shot!! So, thanks again for all the helpful info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, this is a great post. I know I won't be competing again for awhile but I will definitely be referencing this post when I DO compete again (and I WILL sister!!) :)

    Thanks SO much for sharing! Again, great info.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete